Can you imagine that the extent of the disaster that will occur when appointing a person who does not have sufficient experience that to qualify him to manage enterprise projects? Because the management of enterprises and their projects are essential to reach their desired goals, both governmental and private institutions are seeking to attract highly qualified individuals whose task is to develop effective management plans for enterprise projects. What do we mean in project management?
Before we talk about project management, let us tell you what is a project!
The project as defined by the British Project Management Association: It is a set of interrelated, non-routine activities, with specific beginnings and end times, that are implemented by a person or organization to achieve specific goals, within the framework of the planned cost, time, and quality standards.
As for project management as defined by the book (PMBOK): A temporary activity that starts; to produce a unique product, service, or result, and a word (temporary) indicates that projects have a beginning, an end, and the end is reached when the goal is achieved, or when the project is finished.
What is the importance of project management?
There are many reasons that make project management is of great importance, including:
- Strategic Alignment.
- Clarity of goals.
- Realistic plans.
- Risk Management.
- continuous monitoring of resources.
- Learning from the causes of success and failure.
- Establishing transparency and clarity.
- Earning an economic return for the individual and society.
- Organizing tasks in a timely manner.
Project management and the public sector
First, let’s talk about the public sector, or as it is known as the government sector or the state sector: It is the sector in which companies, bodies, and utilities are wholly owned by the state, and the State shall employ the appropriate persons in the appropriate positions to promote the economy of the State and achieve a public benefit.
For citizens, government projects are a bridge to a decent life, but those projects, in order to be desired, must have a sound infrastructure, and this is one of the most important roles of the State. If the state puts the right man in the right place to manage his projects, citizens will arrive safely and vice versa. Before starting any project, there are several stages the project goes through, from feasibility study to planning and implementation stage, until reaching the completion of the project. The lack of clarity in determining responsibilities or the occurrence of any deficiency or defect in one of the previous stages will lead to a delay in the completion of the project as planned and this, in turn, increases the possibility of the project failing. How is the proper management of projects?
- Before starting any project, a feasibility study must be done in a correct way and in-depth research on everything related to the project.
- Determine the time period, develop the necessary plans and restrict the implementation of projects according to the time period set.
- The financial plan plays a fundamental role in the success of any project, so financial resources must be distributed based on the project’s needs without any increase or decrease.
- putting the right person in the right place is an important point for greater benefit, and human resources must be exploited and competencies developed to get the project’s goal.
- setting project goals and making detailed plans for each goal.
The final steps of the project are implementation, project supervision, implementation, project termination, and evaluation.
Project management and the private sector
The private sector is defined as the sector that consists of institutions and companies that are owned by individuals in a personal capacity and not related to the government of the state in them. The recent economic changes that have taken place in the world have led to the inability of the public sector to rise alone in the countries ’economy, so the need for another sector to support the state’s economy has thus emerged as the private sector and has been become a major component of economic activity. The private sector, like the public sector, in order for the institutions and companies of this sector to go on the right track, there must be effective and successful management of their projects The availability of effective management of company projects is a competitive advantage sought by many companies, and here project management helps the employer to put experts in the fields required to achieve the desired goal. What are the tasks of the private sector entrepreneur?
- Control the scope of work.
- Risk Management.
- Cost management.
- Ongoing monitoring.
After referring to project management in the public and private sectors, let’s get to know the most important reasons that lead to project failures:
- lack of sufficient information for the project.
- Human resources are inefficient.
- Weak project requirements.
- Insufficient financial resources.
- Avoid risk and poor planning.
- The time period is not realistic.
- Flow and non-monitoring.
- The project goals are unclear from the beginning.
Strong management in the field of project management is an important point because it promotes success and without it, the project leads to failure. Project management provides an effective force to improve the organization’s capabilities in planning, organizing, implementing, and controlling the various activities therein, including optimizing the organization’s resources and capabilities at the public and private sector levels.
Get PMP certification now with our Professional Project Management Camp, click here! For details.